5 Signs That You Need Water Heater Repair
For many people, the water heater is out of sight and out of mind. They’re located in basements, closets, and other out-of-the-way places that are often overlooked. We go throughout our daily lives without thinking about our water heater until disaster strikes. However, there are warnings to look out for and we’ve put together a list of 5 signs that you need water heater repair.
- Age of Water Heater. The easiest way to understand water heater issues is to first look at the age or date of installation. It is recommended that replacement is needed every 8-12 years depending on the type and location of the water heater and the size of your family. Older units may not function as they once did which can lead to higher bills and the likelihood that it will fail and leave you in the cold. Talk to your plumber about the age of your water heater to see if repair or replacement is recommended.
- Uneven Water Temperatures. Let’s say you go to take a shower and the water is lukewarm, or the water is cold when it should be hot. If you are experiencing abnormal or fluctuating water temperatures, it is a sure sign that your water heater is in need of repair. Many times, the heating element can be replaced.
- Water Discoloration. You turn on the tap and YIKES—the water is brown! If your hot water has a rusty tint and a metallic taste or smell, it’s a sign of corrosion or sediment in the water heater. This buildup can destroy your tank over time, but you can extend the life of your water heater through a sediment flush.
- Weird Noises. It’s normal to hear a little noise coming from the water heater. But if you start to hear loud and unusual sounds like cracking, banging, or sizzling, it’s time to call in for water heater repair. The likely culprit is a buildup of sediment at the bottom of the tank that causes the unit to overwork and run inefficiently. Let a professional take a look and diagnose the issue.
- Leaking Water. Pipes, fittings, and other components in your water heater will weaken over time through normal use. Tiny holes can develop throughout the unit and cause leaks. Stop water leakage before it turns into costly damage or flooding. Make it a part of your monthly maintenance routine by quickly checking your water heater for leaks, sounds, and smells.
Call In the Pros
If you experience any of these issues with your water heater, it’s time to call the Punctual Plumber Benjamin Franklin and let the experts handle the job. Whether you need to repair, replace, or upgrade your water heater—Benjamin Franklin is always available to assist you with your plumbing needs.